My Free Patterns

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Earflaps

Today I am feeling very proud of myself, and satisfied with a project I just finished.  Continuing with my family Christmas present project, last night I finished a hat for my nephew Seth.  He turns 12 a few days before Christmas, so I tried to make something a pre-teen might like.  After consulting with his mother, it turns out his favourite colour is gold.  That is not an easy colour to find in yarn!  However thanks to Ebay and some time spent searching, I found a really nice one.

It is called Patons Zhivago and it is apparently a new type of yarn.  It is 50% tencel and 50% acrylic.  I had to look up what tencel was, because I had never heard of it.  Well, it is a biodegradable fabric made from wood pulp cellulose.  Very eco-friendly, which pleased me.  It is very soft and feels just wonderful.

Anyway, I made him an earflap hat, which was great because it only took one 50g ball of yarn.  Then here comes the part where I am proud--I had to crochet around the edge and for the tassles.  I was very lucky my Gram showed me how to do a single chain (sc) this summer, because that is really all I needed to do.  I think it looks great, and now I think I might want to give crocheting a go as well.....




close up of crocheted border

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments almost more than chocolate. Now that is saying something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...