My Free Patterns

Friday, January 14, 2011

A New Year

We just got back from our trip Stateside Wednesday night.  Christmas with the family was fantastic, and my knitted hats were appreciated.  At the end of the post I've put a picture of some of my family in their presents.

It is great to be home, and although the suitcases haven't unpacked themselves yet (I might be waiting a long time for that) I thought I would get something posted.

While visiting my parents I took the down time to knit like a fiend for the charity KAS.  If you have visited my blog before then you've heard me go on and on about them.  At any rate, I did about 3 squares, a hat and a pullover.  Here is the pullover:
Knitted with Lion Brand Homespun yarn


The pattern is listed for free on the KAS website in their Square Circle Forum,  here is the link as well:


You will need 8 ply yarn (Aus/NZ) Double Knit (UK) Worsted Aran (USA), worsted weight (Can) - 100 gm (3.5oz) ball of yarn or scraps equivalent to that.  I have found you can use just about any kind of yarn you want.  I used Lion Homespun because someone had given me a ball.  Not my favourite to work with, but it is thick and has really good stretch.  Experiment!

4.5mm needles (I have started using the recommend size needle on the ball of yarn, and that gives me slightly different sizes.  Fun!)

Front
Cast on 44 stitches
Work 18 rows in Knit 2, Purl 2 (ribbing)
Next 30 rows Knit (stocking stitch)

Front of sleeve
Cast on 12 stitches at beginning of next row (56 stitches)
Knit 2 Purl 2 to end of row
Cast on 12 stitches at beginning of next row (68 stitches)
Work 22 rows in Knit two Purl 2 (ribbing)

Neck opening
Next row knit 2, purl 2 (rib) 21 stitches, cast off 26 stitches, rib 21 stitches
Next row knit 2, purl 2 (rib) 21 stitches, cast on 26 stitches and then rib 21 stitches

Back of sleeve
Work 22 rows in Knit 2, Purl 2 (ribbing)
Cast off 12 stitches at beginning of next 2 rows

Back
Knit next 30 rows (stocking stitch)
Work 18 rows Knit two, Purl 2 (ribbing)
Cast off loosely

To finish
Turn completed article over, fold in half wrong side to wrong side. Using a darning needle and a strand of the colour wool you have used, sew up the sides and the along the sleeves on both sides.



Here are some pictures of the hats I made:





Check out this link to Crafty Friday and the link to Creative Friday at the top right of the page to see fantastic, creative, wonderful hand crafted items. 




2 comments:

  1. These are so pretty, you're so talented!! My Mom brought me up all her old knitting supplies at Christmas to see if I wanted them...haven't a clue how to knit though. It's a someday project for me...maybe once my kids are a bit older! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I had a lot of fun making all those hats. I started knitting from a kit my sister in law gave me (make a scarf sort of thing) and then when I liked that I bought a book called Knitty Gritty by Aneeta Patel. It is the most helpful book and I've just progressed from there. Still so much to learn......

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost more than chocolate. Now that is saying something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...