My Free Patterns

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mini doughnuts

Just out of the oven


I bought a Judges mini doughnut tin, because my girls love the small doughnuts, as discovered on our recent trip to Arizona.


To start with I used the recipe that came with the tin, and I'll list it here so if you want, you can give it a try too.

Mini Baked Doughnuts

Makes 36
225g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla
175g caster sugar
1 tbsp butter (I used vegetable oil)
2 tsp baking powder
175ml milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven 160C/325F for 15 minutes.  Test with a skewer, it should be clean when withdrawn.  Allow to cool, decorate or coat with sugar.

The first thing I discovered is that you must NOT overfill the tray.  The first batch I made were way too big, and therefore not doughnut shaped, with a delightful hole in the middle.  They were rather blobby and hard to get out of the tray.  I learned my lesson, and the next time I only filled the holes 1/2 full.  Wonderful, they came out perfectly and were easy to flip out with a rubber scraper.

We decorated the doughnuts with chocolate icing, here is the recipe we used:

Chocolate glaze icing


1/2 cup sifted powdered (icing) sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder milk

Mix powdered sugar, cocoa powder,  and 1/2 tablespoon milk.  Stir in milk, 1/2 tsp at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.


And then we dipped them in sprinkles.  We also made powdered sugar doughnuts by bouncing them around in a ziplock bag with a 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.

Chocolate icing with various sprinkles and powdered sugar, yum!




A big hit with the kids!

So all in all, a success.  Do they taste like fried cake doughnuts?  No, I'm afraid they don't.  They do taste nice however, and I feel less guilty at only 70 calories each (including icing!).  I'm already looking for another recipe to try.  I'm thinking apple doughnuts rolled in cinnamon sugar.  I've got to go and ride the bike now, or else my jeans won't fit!



Check out these foodie blog hops:





H‘nSFCC

5 comments:

  1. what fun! the apple cinamon doughnuts sound ridiculously good (if only I had one right now!) Have fun riding your bike, that way you can eat more doughnuts guilt free;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :::stomach growling::: Love doughnuts and have never made my own. They look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm. These look yummy and my little guy would be loving the sprinkles. I'm following you now and I'd love to for you to stop by my blog for a visit. Have a great day!
    Katie
    http://thischickcooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andria!I would like to welcome you to the hearth and soul hop! I am now following your blog. I do love the idea of baking these donuts in the oven, but I would certainly use the butter, so YUMMY and good for you! Do some searching on the latest on butter and you will find it is the New Health Food! Who knew healthy could be so good! my girls would gobble these up too! Thanks for sharing this on the hearth and soul hop and all the best! Alex@amoderatelife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I have seen donut pans but not the mini ones... very fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost more than chocolate. Now that is saying something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...