My Free Patterns

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Crofters Pie

After just having dinner, I had to write about this.  A few years ago I started messing about with a Shepard's Pie recipe, and now I've pretty much perfected it.  My husband and I renamed it Crofter's Pie, in the hopes that one day we will actually be crofters.  

Today we took the kids and Granny to see Disney on Ice.  It was a very good time, but knowing that we would get home late, I made dinner before we left.  I cooked the Crofter's Pie, then just left it in the oven for when we got home.  A few minutes in the microwave and we were good to go.  I don't think it has ever tasted so good.

Crofters Pie
3 large potatoes
2 tbs butter
1/4 cup milk

1 lb ground beef (or turkey, pork, lamb, I've used them all)
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
I large carrot either grated for diced
2-3 large mushrooms (more if you love them)
1/4-1/2 cup frozen peas 
a couple of sprigs fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried
a beef bullion cube
1 tbs flour
black pepper to taste

Directions 
1) Boil potatoes until tender.  Mash with butter and milk.  Maybe now is a good time to say I don't believe in peeling potatoes.  Who has the time, or in the inclination?  Just scrub them really well and off you go.
 2) While the potatoes are boiling saute onion, meat, garlic, carrots and mushrooms all together.  I find you don't need to add oil because of the fat in the meat.  Add pepper and thyme and peas.

3) When the meat is done, if there is a lot of fat you can drain in, then dissolve the bullion in a bit of hot water (say, 1/4 cup) and mix that into the meat mixture.  Add the flour to thicken a bit, and give it a good stir.
4)  Transfer meat mixture to a casserole or deep pie pan.  Spread mashed potatoes over meat.  At this stage my Mom would put cheese on the top, knock yourself out if you want to as well.

5)  Bake at 375F, 190C for 30 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
Ready to eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments almost more than chocolate. Now that is saying something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...