My Free Patterns

Monday, October 3, 2011

Pear Upside Down Cake

Today I had it in my mind I would make a pineapple upside down cake.  I have a recipe I really like, from the Cooking Essentials book, that I have successfully made before.  


I was going to use some left over fresh pineapple I had, just to get rid of it.  Well......as I got started it turns out the pineapple didn't look that great, and I felt sad at the thought of no cake.  I turned to the cupboard and the only tinned fruit I had was pear.  So pear it was!  I used the same recipe, just substitute the pear for the pineapple, and it was GREAT!  In fact, I like it even better than the original.

Here is the recipe:
4tbs butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
most of a can of tinner pears, sliced into sections
candied cherries

     Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).  Grease and line an 8" springform pan with waxed paper.  I make sure the paper comes all the way to the top of the pan, otherwise the butter can leak through the cracks and make a mess.  Melt the butter and pour it into the pan.  Sprinkle the sugar.

     Drain fruit and slice.  Arrange on top of the sugar.  Place candied cherries--I do this because I like them, and they are pretty.


For the cake:
125g (1/4lb) soft butter
125g sugar (1/2 cup)
175g (1 1/2 cups) self-rising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs


     Make the cake:  place the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and eggs in a large bowl.  Add 2 tbs fruit juice from pear tin.  Beat with an electric mixer on slow speed for 2 minutes.  When the mixture is soft enough to drop off the mixers, spoon the mixture into the cake tin.  If it isn't soft enough, continue to add fruit juice a tsp at a time until the desire consistency is reached.


     Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the cake is risen and spingy to the touch.  If it browns too much during cooking, cover loosely with foil.  Hold a warmed plate upside down over the pan and turn the two over together to the cake inverts onto the place.  ENJOY, especially with a cup of tea.





Here is where I'm sharing the recipe love:

4 comments:

  1. I love that you used pears & not the typical pineapple! Yum, looks fantastic! If you have the chance, come by & link this & anything else you have up at Makin' You Crave Monday over at MrsHappyHomemaker.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love pears. This looks yummy. I just made a plum and blueberry upside down cake. It was gone in a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love pears. I actually made a pear crisp, this week. I'm so glad they're finally in season again!

    Found you on Cast Party Wednesday and thought I'd stop by and say, "hello!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUm! We have a surplus of pears from our tree, this is the perfect recipe to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost more than chocolate. Now that is saying something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...