My Free Patterns

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Felted Slippers

As I sat down to write this post I realized just how much I love a back story.  I'm not sure why I feel I always need to include one, but I do.  So here is today's.

I currently work from home.  I know it won't last forever, and I'm already looking for another job (fat chance around here, the job market is terrible) but for now, I'm home pretty much all the time.  It is a really good gig if you can get it.  At our house we have a strict inside/outside shoe policy.  No outside shoe may ever touch my carpet (so much so that when I had to run back inside for something yesterday I used the plastic dog bags we keep by the door to put over my shoes).  You will understand when I tell you that I have free range chickens wandering around my garden.  Anyway, I wear slippers all the time.  I have yet to find a slipper that I like and can withstand the amount of use I put them through.

Recently when my last pair of slippers died I found a pattern for  felted slippers.  It is the kind of felting that takes place after you knit the item, which I am keen to try again.  Also, the pattern couldn't be simpler, check it out here (or on Ravelry here).  You basically knit a strip, then a few squares on the side, fold it up and sew.  I used some Patons Classic Wool I had in my stash.  I've got one ready for felting, here is what it looks like:

Gratuitous dog picture


Now I'm off to go and felt it, because I don't want to wait for the other one to be done, and I want to make sure I like it before I make another one.

As for reading, this week, I am gearing up for spring (yes, super early).  We are waiting for the OK to put up a poly tunnel, and I really hope it all works out.  I can't wait!



Now hurry and check out all these crafty blogs!


17 comments:

  1. No shoes may ever touch my carpet, I wish! Nurses visit once a fortnight, wheeling their stuff/dirty shoes from outside straight in to hallway and living room, can they not see the mess they have created? Sorry! Deep breath. Love your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are looking good! We have a dog so there is just no point in no shoes in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those slippers look so fun :) Can't wait to see once it is felted.

    I like reading the backstories to why people knit certain patterns, they're always a fun way to see inside people's lives (I am pretty nosy!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your slippers are lovely. That pattern looks like so much fun to make.
    We are really bad here always wearing shoes in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen that pattern a thought about giving it a try. Your slippers look great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen a felted slipper pattern very similar to this one. Thanks for the Ravelry link!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like an interesting slipper pattern, but so pointed. Is it comfortable? As a person with back problems, I never wear slippers, and rarely take off my shoes. The jarring on ones back when you're not wearing shoes to help absorb the shock/pounding is really not good, and frankly hurts.

    Why not just have a pair of slip on shoes you wear in the house instead of slippers? Shoes afford so much more support, and protection for the foot. Need to tell you sometime about the knife a friend got in her foot...while not wearing shoes....makes me cringe just thinking about it. Then there's the head injury from the slipping in the kitchen while not wearing shoes. You've given me several blog posts ideas, lol

    I do though through my charity blog make and donate slippers, so need to check out this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But, but, but ... if you don't felt them at the same time, will they come out the same size? I can't wait to see how these turn out - they look really elven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, until you pointed that out I never even thought about them not being the same size! I'm going to do the exact same thing again, same jeans, etc in the wash, so I'll just hope for the best!

      Delete
  9. Looking good, good luck felting them. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such interesting construction! Let us know how it works out. Your pup is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have toyed with the idea of no shoes in the house but with 8 kids in and out all. day. long, I might lose my mind. Enjoy the felting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We also have a no shoe policy and I love it. Makes for much less wear and tear on the floor and easier clean up. I love your slippers and feel the need to give a pair a go for us over here :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of knitting and then felting slippers. Your pattern looks straightforward. Maybe this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those slippers are really interesting. I bet they are super comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got that book for christmas and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool pattern! I"ll look forward to finding out how the felting goes - I need a new pair of slippers!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost more than chocolate. Now that is saying something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...