My Free Patterns

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Baking Round-Up

After reading this post you will probably think I am an uncontrollable sweets junky........and you aren't far off.  I DO like my baked goods, and I feel that it is better for you, and your wallet, to make things yourself.  It allows me to control what my children consume as well.  They love to bake with me, and getting kids interested in cooking can only be a good thing.  This post is titled baking round-up because it is what I've been baking (and enjoying) the last several weeks.  I'd like to do a post like this maybe once a month, with simple, tasty treats.  Go on, be nice to yourself.





Lemon Squares!

Timeless and delicious.  I use the recipe from my Better Homes and Garden cookbook (a.k.a. the red and white chequered one), and you can find it here:

I cut the recipe in 1/2 and make it in an 8x8 pan.













The girls like juicing the lemons.










A powdered sugar shaker is a girls best friend.
















These little beauties are scrummy!  I made them slightly differently than the recipe.  After they are cooked I brush butter on the top with a silicone pastry brush, then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar.  Excellent with a cup of tea.
















Lime Bundt Cake

I had a few limes I needed to use up, so I went looking for a nice lime cake recipe.  The recipe I've linked to is actually for an orange bundt cake, but it was very tasty with lime.
It has a lovely tangy citrus glaze, which my girls weren't too crazy about, but my husband who doesn't love baked good like I do, really liked.
I kept catching him sneaking extra pieces.
That always makes me happy though.













Lastly, the humble scone.


My kids LOVE to cut scones out in fun shapes, and I love to eat fun shaped scones, so it's a win win situation.  And yes, there is a bat on that tray, I'm just not sure why.

I use the basic scone recipe from this cookbook:























 
I got this cookbook as a gift years ago when my girls were small(er) and I still use it.  There are some fun and really tasty recipes in it.  However I linked up to Delia's recipe, because it appears to be about the same, and is free.  This time we went all out and had them with strawberry jam and clotted cream.  So indulgent, and so good!  I don't have a picture of that though, we ate them too fast.


Happy Baking!



Here are some weekend blog hops:

Free Hot Samples














Monday Blog Hops to Check Out:



9 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I love scones, particularly with clotted cream & jelly and a pot of tea! I was in England last Sept. and I had a lot of cream teas ... just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhh...the lemon squares look yummy..I am your newest follower via sunday blog hop..

    sherry

    http://splendiferousgirlsclub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm your newest follower from the blog hop. Please stop by and visit us.

    Kristine
    http://thissahmsworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am a new follower who found you through the “Hoppin Weekend” Blog Hop. I love to find new blogs to follow, so I’m looking forward to following yours. If you are able, I appreciate a follow back ~ I’m still a new blogger and a growing blog is a happy blog!
    Thank you!
    ~KerrieLynn ღೋ☙❤
    KLsCupboard.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! So many yummy things I don't even know where to begin. You're seriously making me hungry! :-)

    Stopping by from the Say Hi Sunday Blog Hop!

    Mom In Orbit

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of it looks so good. I love to see kids helping in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that looks indeed yummy! Can I have be piece please? LOL
    I am your new follower. You can follow me back at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

    Happy Valentine's Day
    ShowMeMama

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy! Thanks for stoppy by Relax and Surf Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your scones are so cute and that lime bundt cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost more than chocolate. Now that is saying something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...