My Free Patterns

Monday, February 7, 2011

Red curry.......and meatballs?

This might sound a little crazy, but go with me on this one.  My husband is studying for his medical finals, and when he gets stressed out he likes......food!  Well who doesn't like good food all the time?  We love Thai food, and I try to replicate restaurant grade meals at home, usually without success.  This time, I got lucky.

Why meatballs in a curry?  For the meat of course.  I don't mean to insult any vegetarians, but we like our meat.  A lot.  It was something new to try, and at first I wasn't convinced, but it didn't take me long to decide--yum!  Now it has been over a week, and I'm still having fond memories of this dish.


Red curry and meatballs 

For the meatballs:
1/2 lb ground lamb (or whatever you have, I think turkey or pork would be awesome)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper

First I whizzed the onion and garlic in the Cuisinart, then I added the breadcrumbs and meat and whizzed up until it was well blended.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Shape into balls and fry in a wok in a little bit of oil until cooked.  Remove from the pan.

For the red curry:
1 medium onion
1-2 cloves garlic
2 tbs red curry paste (do this to taste)
1 can coconut milk (I used lite)
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup chopped broccoli
1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
peas, green beans, corn, you choose or just use what is handy.  I just dump whatever vegetables I have in my freezer at the time.
1 tbs fish sauce
coriander to garnish

Sauté onion and garlic in the oil left in the pan from the meatballs.  When they are soft add 2 tbs red curry paste (do this to taste as all pastes vary, and some like it hotter than others) and stir to mix.  Add coconut little by little until whole can is mixed in, allow to just start boiling.  Add veggies of your choice and the fish sauce.  Put a lid on the pan, and let cook on low for 10-15 minutes until veggies are almost cooked.  Then remove the lid, turn up the heat to  medium, and allow the sauce to cook down until it reaches the desired consistency.  I like sauce, but I like it to be thick not runny, so I cook it for about 25 minutes this way.

Add meatballs back to pan and allow to heat thoroughly.  Sprinkle coriander over and serve over rice (I prefer brown)





Awesome Blog hops:

H‘nSFCC











8 comments:

  1. Hiya,
    I'm stopping by from the Relax and Surf Sunday Blog Hop and I'm your newest follower. If you get a minute please stop by and follow back.
    http://alittleoftheother.com

    Have a super week,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a vegetarian, I can assure you there is no offense in your stating that you like meat!

    And I can duplicate this recipe with the meat-substitute I make meatballs with :-) I love coconut milk in my Indian food, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great recipe, and something really different for our family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, that sounds awesome. I love the lamb in a red curry...makes me hungry! Thanks so much for sharing this w/ the hearth and soul hop this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love meatballs. Thislooks like a yummy recipe. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog :) Have a great day.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy looking... New follower for your blog , following from the WOB Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. While my husband grew up on lamb I rarely cook with it - I think my family would love this recipe! Thanks for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks great. also like the knitting/food combo.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost more than chocolate. Now that is saying something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...