My Free Patterns

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Braised Steak au Poivre

Having just made this for dinner, I felt I had to post it.  I cannot honestly remember where I got this recipe from, somewhere out in cyberspace.  I am terrible at printing something off and not writing down where it came from.  The recipe came about because every now and then we buy a bottle of red wine, and then I use it up in various recipes.  We're not big drinkers, but red wine does add a certain something to some recipes.


Braised Steak au Poivre

12-14oz (400g) braising steak
1 onion, chopped small
3/4 tsp whole black peppercorns
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs plain flour
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup (220ml) red wine or dry cider (I've never tried the cider)
2 tbs cream (or milk in a pinch)
salt

Directions

Heat the oil in a frying pan (use on that had a lid that fits).  Fry the onion for 5 minutes.  While the onion is cooking prepare the meat.  Crush the peppercorns, coarsley.  Mix the peppercorns and flour on a flat plate and spread the mixture out.  Press the meat on to the flour on both sides to get it well coated.

Remove onion to a plate, turn the heat up on the pan and when it is really hot quickly brown the meat on both sides, scraping any leftover flour from the plate in to the pan.

Then turn the heat down, return the onion together with the garlic and some salt, pour in the wine.  Put the lid on and let it simmer as gently as possibly for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on how thick the meat it.

When it is ready, remove the lid, turn the heat right up and let the sauce bubble and reduce to a more syrupy consistency (about 1-2 minutes).  Then stir in the yoghurt till it is thoroughly combined.  I like it with mashed potatoes and green beans.  Yum!




Foodie Blog Hops





H‘nSFCC




6 comments:

  1. Looks delish! I love a good steak and potatoes!
    Feel free to come by my homemade sausage post today. It's in honor of my husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds yummy! Im going to give it a try with cider just for the novelty factor, ive never cooked with cider before

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my kind of meal yummy and filling

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - the combination of garlic and red wine sounds delicious. I can almost smell it. Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Tuesdays!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andria! You know, some times there is NOTHING better than some steak and potatoes for dinner and I really enjoy the pepper flavor of this type of recipe! Thanks so much for sharing your version on the hearth and soul hop! all the best! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Braised Steak dinner looks delicious. Thank you for sharing and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost more than chocolate. Now that is saying something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...