My Free Patterns

Friday, February 11, 2011

Pyjama Trousers

Maybe it is the organic food, maybe it is my excellent home cooking, but it is certainly something, because my girls do not get their height from their parents.  They have little legs that go on forever, and skinny little bodies.  I was a tubby little kid, and the runt of my family.  Of course, I grew up in the midst of Little Debbie and frozen corn dogs, but let's not blame convenience food on my height issues.

So, the question is, what does any good seamstress do when she is making pyjama trousers for her daughters and finds out she has to combine two different sizes due to their excessively long legs and skinny bodies?  Well I wouldn't know, because I am only a mediocre seamstress at best, though I do try.  What I did was head straight for the tracing paper to trace out the correct size.  Upon discovering that in fact, I had no tracing paper, I used the next best only thing I could find, tissue paper.  Sure, I bought it for wrapping presents and it is very thin, but I have a whole roll of clear tape to fix up those annoy rips, so watch me go!

 By the way, if you are looking at the above picture and scratching your head--yes one leg is slightly bigger than the other.  No worries, I fixed it.  Still not quite sure how I did it though.

I got the pattern traced out without much issue.  Isla & Rori picked this pink flannel with white stars last summer when we were visiting family in Michigan.  Why is fabric so much cheaper over there?  It doesn't seem fair, but I can' t complain right now because last summer my Grandma cleaned out her fabric stash (yay!) and I brought home a whole suitcase full of fabric.  The joy!

Back to the trousers.  The pattern was very easy and straightforward, so we went from this:


To this:



Why is it they normally LOVE having their pictures taken, but when I asked them to pose for me, no joy.  So instead you get funny faces.


Just so you don't think I haven't got any knitting going, I am currently working on a fitted tank top.  Yes, I'm ready for summer already.
 

Now, before you think to yourself "that is pretty small looking" it is a 3x3 rib and has a lot of streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch.  So far, so good.  Of course I got the pattern on Ravelry, though it is a Lion Brand pattern so you can get it on their website too. 


Check out these awesome blog hops:

Photobucket
naturalsuburbia


14 comments:

  1. Adorable pajama bottoms! I love your knitted sweater too! My aunt always buys more fabric when she visits us here in Michigan so you aren't the only one who has noticed that. Of course, she said that she ALWAYS comes during some big sale that a bunch of the fabric shops have each year. Is it me or the sale she visits? tehehe, me.of course.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, love that tank top! Perfect for thinking of SUMMER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Those pyjama pants are almost as cute as the girls who're wearing them. And I applaud you for knitting with warmer weather in mind. The more snow I shovel, the more warm cozies I knit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I would have given anything to have pyjama bottoms that were long enough when I was a kiddo. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pj's your kidlettes are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable pjs for adorable kids! Thanks so much for the tank top pattern. I plan to make one this summer. I figure it's a step in the right direction toward knitting a sweater. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are the cutest pj's. Good for you making your own custom pattern. The blue of your vest is very nice. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great PJ pants! I've been doing a lot of those for my littles too, my son though runs away from the camera so I have to settle on just getting the pics of them lying on the table! Ha!

    https://jennoreilly.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pj pants look nice and comfy! I tried to sew some pj pants once and, well, let's just say that it was a disaster that still makes one of my friends burst into laughter whenever she thinks about it. That's when I decided that sewing just isn't my thing...lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up on macaroni & cheese and spaghettios, and the occasional bowl of chicken-noodle condensed soup. I was not the sleekest child!

    Cute PJs and tank top. What yarn is the tank top made from?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the lovely comments.

    Beth the top is a blend 80% acrylic, 20% wool. Yes I know.....a wool tank top. I find them perfect for Scottish summers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute pj's on some cute girls! They may be hamming it up for the camera but they look happy with their new pjs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab pjs! When I was a kid, I was fairly tall as well - all legs - and nobody knew where these tall genes came from. Then I stopped growing at 11 and everyone else grew much taller!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable Faces!!!
    & the PJ Pants are great to

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost more than chocolate. Now that is saying something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...